Traveling has a way of bringing you relaxation, peace, and great memories. That is why it is a favorite thing to do for many people. These memories (especially the good ones) are to be cherished for life, and one of the best ways to do that is to capture every moment with the best mirrorless camera you can find. There are other types of cameras out there, but from experience and recommendations, it is best to go for the mirrorless ones for the following reasons.
- It comes in a portable size and weight that is easy to move around with.
- More suitable for night photography
- Superior video autofocuses
- Does not raise red flags in situations where pro cameras are banned
- Nearly silent and does not cause distractions
- Would still be relevant in years to come compared to DSLR
From these reasons, you can tell that this type is more suitable for travelers and even professionals in some situations. The question now is, how do you choose the best mirrorless cameras for travel? There are a lot of factors that determine the best pick for you considering what purpose it is meant to serve. However, for travelers, these points would help you make the right choice.
- Easy to use:
You’re going to need something that is not too technical. Your interest here is to capture memories in the best way possible without having to go to a school of photography. If it is easy to use, you do not have to bother with how much experience you have in taking pictures and shooting videos.
If you want to really make good captures, then you’ll need to take, not just photos, but videos too. Videos have become increasingly important, thanks to the rise of vloggers and influencers.
Even you’re fully going into photography as a profession, you can still get one of the best mirrorless cameras for travel at a very affordable rate. High cost does not always mean quality.
- Sensor size:
Go for cameras with larger sensors as they perform better in low-light situations and allows for greater depth of field effects.
- Image stabilization technology:
This is a feature that counters the effects of low shutter speed. Your hands would always move a small amount when you’re holding your camera, and this can translate to a blurry image. The image stabilization technology helps to avoid this.
- Lens compatibility and availability:
The best mirrorless camera for travel usually has interchangeable lenses, and it important to consider what lenses are available in the market for the particular model you wish to buy.
- Battery life:
Make sure the battery life of the camera you wish to purchase is topnotch and does not die taking only 150 pictures. Generally, you want a good product that can take at least 300 shots per charge.
Top 5 Best Mirrorless Cameras for Travel
These products were all selected based on price, performance, and simplicity, and as such can be said to be the best mirrorless camera for travel. Talking about price, the least expensive on this list is $450. This is a fairly good amount to invest for such purpose considering that you’re going to get the complete package.
If your budget is lower than that, you can consider using your smartphone to take photoshoots or invest in a decent point-and-shoot camera instead of purchasing a camera that would not perform well.
5. Panasonic Lumix GX800
- Precise electronic viewfinder
- In-body 5-axis image stabilization
- 20.3MP MFT sensor
- Tilting touch screen
- 12-60mm image stabilizer lens
This is one of the top options that serve well as lightweight travel companions. It has great features like a 20.3MP MFT sensor, quality image stabilizer technology, a tilting touch screen, and an electronic viewfinder. Not only can you create capture your best life with this, but you can also use it to boost your social media engagement. With the 4K video support, WiFi/bluetooth connectivity, access to a wide range of lenses, and edge-cutting burst speeds, you are good to go with an A-game. This model is quite simple to get along with, therefore many users regard it as the best mirrorless camera for beginners.
- 180-degree tiltable screen for taking advanced selfies and capturing a wide range
- Results are always great, even in low lights
- Compact form and size; does not take up a lot of space
- You can change the focus point of your photo much later after taking it
- Can be used to directly post your photos and images on the internet
- Lacks weather sealing
- Relatively low battery life
This is a great product with a few drawbacks – nothing major. You can fix these issues by getting extra accessories for extra cost. Be cautious while getting your accessories to make sure they are from the same brand, or at least compatible with your device.
4. Nikon Z6
- Full-frame CMOS
- 273-point autofocus
- 12fps maximum continuous shooting speed
- 24.5 MP resolution
- Full weather sealing and full-frame mirrorless camera option
If you are looking for the best full frame mirrorless camera at an affordable rate, then you should consider the Nikon Z6. The Z7 from the same company is also a great option, but it is far more expensive and does not really have a lot of differences compared to the Z6 model.
- Suitable for both enthusiast and professionals
- Edge-cutting electronic viewfinder
- Fast burst shooting rate
- Excellent setup and results
- Not a great choice for beginners
- No continuous AF
- Has only one card slot
This brand also comes with a tilting touch screen, bluetooth and WiFi connectivity, and in-body image stabilization technology. It may not be such a great option for beginners owing to its technical nature. It you have little to no experience in this regards, you should get some lessons before hand to learn how to use it properly.
3. Sony Alpha A7 III
- Full-frame CMOS sensor size
- 693 point autofocus
- 3-inch tilt angle touch screen
- 24.2 MP resolution
- 10fps maximum continuous shooting speed
It is true that all mirrorless cameras perform excellently in low light settings, but some of them are designed to produce better images compared to others when subjected to low light setting situations. The Alpha A7 is rated as the best Sony mirrorless camera and it is understandable why it is so. This company has been in the camera game long before most, and it is also ahead of the competition when it comes to full-frame and mirrorless cameras.
- Excellent image and video quality
- Great dynamic range
- Offers quality low-light performance
- 5-axis image stabilization
- Comes with an exhaustive array of lenses
- Not the best touch screen sensitivity
- Slight tearing in EVF
This product brings great flexibility at slower shutter speed, with a top-notch image and video quality – it is not surprising that it’s rated as the best Sony mirrorless camera. The price was on the high side when it was first released, but it has since fallen to a reasonable cost and now competes with the best high-end brands in the market.
2. Nikon Z7
- Full-frame CMOS sensor size
- 493-point autofocus
- 3.2-inch touch screen with over 2 million dots
- 45.7 MP resolution
- 9fps maximum continuous shooting speed
This is one of the best (if not the best) that this company has ever produced. It has a lot of great qualities, but the one that stands out from the rest is the 45.7MP sensor which is the same with reputable DSLR cameras. Aside from that wonderful feature, there are also other interesting features that have managed to put this product at the top of many users’ lists as the best full frame mirrorless camera.
- Can compete favorably with high quality DSLR cameras
- Sizable, detailed, and bright electronic viewfinder
- Sensor based image stabilization
- Produces superb image qualities
- Covers a wider range
- Limited native lens selection
- One slot for cards
This is currently the flagship option in the Z system of the Nikon company. It is a good size and very portable for anyone on the move. It competes favorably with high quality DSLR camera, which is an interesting leap in technology.
1. Sony Alpha A6000
- 24.3 megapixel
- Built-in flash
- Very portable body size and weight – 4.8 x 2.9 x 1.9
- OLED viewfinder
- Battery life – 360 shots
Now we bring to you the best beginner mirrorless camera – an ideal compromise between portability and quality. Most travelers just want to get clear quality pictures that can grace their social media timelines. Newbies in the photo business can also make their portfolio have a great appeal with it. the point is, it is simple to use, very affordable, powerful and produces great results.
- It has a compact and cute body
- Excellent low light performance
- Quality image-standard
- Fast continuous shooting
- Affordable and suitable for beginners
- Clunky adjustment in the focus point selection
This model made its way to the top of our list considering size, weight, expert level, cost, and quality. It may not compete favorably with others, but it will help you capture rare moments and give you great resources with which you can develop quality content for your social media platform, even as a newbie. Plus, it is easily come across as the best mirrorless camera for low light and low cost.
If you have just bought a mirrorless camera, or thinking of investing in one, you should be aware of some tips to help you get the maximum benefits it has to offer. So, here goes.
- Always have an extra battery or two
- Buy native lenses mostly
- Read the manual and practice a bit before using it
- Invest in a proper casing to avoid getting dust on the sensor
You may have to pay a little bit more to get all the necessary extra accessories for your camera, but they’re worth it in the long run, so cheer up.