You must have heard time and time again that putting too much heat on your hair will damage it, which is true. In order to keep healthy hair, a lot of people choose to do away completely with heat stylers, especially flat irons, but wait a minute; do you really need to do that?
The truth is, if you have the right straightener, you can get away with applying heat to your hair every now and then without wrecking any damages to it. Talking of which, the best straightener for thick hair should have the following traits.
- Wide-plate surface
- Quality plate material like titanium, ceramic, and tourmaline
- A wide range of adjustable heat setting
- Quality over price
It is important to understand that these tools are not created equal. If you indeed want to rock a sleek, straight finished look without damaging your hair, then you’ve got to invest some quality time and money. Well, we’ve done some research on the best hair straightener for fine hair as well as thick ones. Here are our picks.
Top 5 Best Straightener for Thick Hair
5. HSI Professional Glider
- Ceramic and crystal plates
- Microsensor that detects overheating
- Free argan oil leave-in hair treatment
- Comes in either red or white color
- Comes with a guide
If you are looking for something that can do a good job on thick hair, you may want to check out this product. It can handle the frizziest and coarsest hair and still manage not to cause heat damage. You only need to pass the iron once, twice at most, and you’d get a dramatic result.
- Versatile – straightens, curls, and flips
- You can avoid heat damage with the help of the microsensor
- Portable enough to travel with
- Comes with a guide; suitable for beginners
- Temperature can be adjusted from 240F to 400F
- Shuts down on its own
- Does not have a wide plate
This product works perfectly fine for any coarse natural hair, but not much can be said about hair extensions where you may need constant high heat. It automatically shuts down on its own for the temperature to come down and then starts reheating, so you’ll need to be patient for it to heat up to the right temperature again.
4. Remington S5525 Pro Straightener
- Ceramic-coated plates
- Comes in black color only
- Maximum temperature of 230 degrees
- Temperature digital display
- Ergonomically designed
With this brand of styler, you get extra-wide ceramic coated plates, adjustable heat settings, and fast heating, all for a very affordable price. A lot of professionals go by this brand because it gets the job done, it heats up really fast, and the wide plates make it efficient enough for the thickest of hairs. Here are the features that have earned it the number four best straightener for thick hair.
- Takes only 15 seconds to heat up
- You can adjust the temperature as much as you like with the help of the digital display
- The plates are wide enough and coated with ceramics to sleek down tough tresses
- Comes with a manufacturer’s guarantee of 3 years
- Very affordable
- Does not close well together
- Can only be bought online
It takes time to look good, but won’t you cut down on how much time it takes to style your hair if you can? This brand gives you that option without sacrificing its straightening ability. It is the best hair straightener used by professionals in several cases. Also, it can shut down automatically after 60 minutes, just in case you forgot to do so before leaving the house. The most interesting part is that you can get this at a rate that is cheaper than a lot of other products of the same quality.
3. Kristin Ess 3-in-1 Flat Iron
- One button operated
- Ceramic-coated heating plates
- Power and temperature indicator
- Swivel cord
- 3-in-1 function
This beauty product is the brainchild of Kristen Ess, a famous hair beauty influencer on instagram. One thing that makes this product worth the hype is that it was created by someone who made a successful career from caring for thick tresses. Based on her years of experience, she was able to come up with this product which has managed to grab people’s attention as the best hair straightener for curling.
- Shuts off after 30 minutes which helps to minimize damage to the hair
- Adjustable temperature up to 440⁰F
- The body is designed in a rounded form which makes it easy to create bends, waves, and curls
- The automatic shut down can help prevent accidents just in case you forgot to shut it off after use
- Can be used to create versatile styles and patterns
- It is quite pricey
- Not the best option for a beginner
There are quite a lot of great reviews about this product. A lot of customers believe that it is the best straightener for curling hair. It is durable too, with a swivel cord that can rotate 360⁰. You can rock different hairstyles with the help of this styler; straight, curly, or wavy. It heats up pretty fast too and shuts off automatically after 30 minutes. This is to minimize heat damage and safety risks.
2. T3 Single Pass X Straightener
- One and a half inches plate
- Ceramic heating element
- Automatic temperature adjustment
- 5 different settings
- Automatically shuts off after one hour
The T3 styler is the number two best straightener for thick curly hair. It was designed to tame even the mane of a lion on a humid day. Hairs are of different types, volumes, and length. For one that’s coarse, voluminous, and long, you’re going to need a tool that can hold it down sleek and in place. The heating plates are made out of quality extra-wide ceramics, to ensure a long-lasting and smooth outcome.
- Specifically designed to give a perfectly straightened hair in one pass
- Suitable for all hair types
- Smart audiovisual interface that remembers and controls optimal heat settings
- It is easy to use; ergonomic and lightweight
- The cord is as long as 9ft
Despite the great features and quality of this product, it also comes with a 2-year warranty. It can as well be used for different styles that require flipping, curling, and straightening. This means you may not need to get separate tools for different hair patterns. You also get a couple of pro-sectioning clips and a heat resistant mat to go with the tool. A lot of customers are satisfied with the results they get from a single pass using this tool, which is great. The cost is on the high side compared to the cost of other similar products, but it’s worth it.
1. Xtra Pro-Satin Infrared Straightener
- Extra-wide plate of 2 inches
- Digital display
- Infrared function
- Travel-friendly and auto shut off feature
- 2 years warranty and money-back guarantee
From research, reviews, and experience, the Xtra Pro-Satin Straightener is our pick as the best hair straightener for curly hair as well as thick ones. If you know anything about voluminous manes, then you’d know it is not easy to style; it takes more time, products, extra effort, and a rugged styler to get it to look great. With this product, which has a 2-inch plate, you’ll save yourself a lot of effort and time.
- It is very affordable
- Wide plates make it faster and easier to work with
- Plates coated with quality tourmaline for a more even distribution of heat
- You can get your money back if you have an irreparable issue with the tool as per guarantee and warranty agreement
- It shuts off automatically to control overheating
- May leave your hair frizzy, especially when used alone
From the consumer’s point of view, this styler is one of the best straighteners for thick hair. The wide plate, in particular, makes it easier to manage stubborn hairs. The wide ranges of temperature settings have different intensities and you can use whichever one works well for you.
If you need your hair to remain as healthy as possible and grow out the more, you should try not to use heat on it very often, and make sure to use heat protectant in the process. If at all you must straighten out your tresses, go for any of the brands we’ve mentioned or something similar in quality. Do not fall prey to the cheap substandard ones that will leave your hair damaged.
Always be sure that the plated are made of quality coating to avoid frizzing and snagging your hair. Tourmaline, ceramic, or titanium coated plates are the best; they will do the job in one pass or two without damaging your tresses.