It’s every car owner’s nightmare to have a sudden breakdown. It can cause a lot of stress – emotional and financial. Ignition timing is one of the reasons your car can break down, but with the right timing, you can save yourself that stress. Below is a list of the top five msd timing lights, in case you decide to buy one for yourself.
Top 5 Best Timing Lights for MSD Ignition
5. Performance Tool W80578 Self-Powered Timing Light
- It can be used with any gas engine
- It comes with clips that are high current as well as protective boots
- It comes with grease resistant wire leads that are 5-ft long
- Has a push-button enabling it to serve you longer
- Does not require an independent power source (the 2 D cell batteries are enough)
The fact that this better timing light for MSD ignition can be used on different types of gas engines makes it a darling for many people. You can use it on motorcycles, racing cars, motorboats, lawnmowers, the list is endless. However, you have to buy a pair of D-cell batteries that you can put in there to make them work.
- This timing light is durable due to the robust metal frame from which it’s made
- It’s comfortable to use because of its handle that gives a full grip
- It has the ability to cut as deep as 4’’ or more
- You may find its shank not long enough
You will certainly like the fact that you do not need an independent power source to use this timing light. All you need is a pair of D batteries, which you can buy at your local store.
4. Innova 3568 Digital Timing Light
- It can be used with most ignition system types
- It comes with leads that are detachable
- It has a hand-guard that is protective in nature
- It comes with an LCD display screen
This lamp is one of the best for MSD ignition and allows you to use an LCD screen to diagnose ignition problems. It displays advance or delay applications – mechanical and electronic – as well as basic timing.
- Very user-friendly especially for DIY enthusiasts
- It comes with a display screen that’s LCD allowing you the opportunity to see retard or advance apps as well as the Tachometer
- It has a good aim because of its slim rotating barrel
- This timing light can work with ignition systems of various types
- It’s costly
Its split LCD screen is a pleasure to work with. It allows you to diagnose conditions in a simple and very easy way. Its ability to work with most types of ignition systems adds to its appeal.
3. Innova 3551 Inductive Timing Light
- Its leads are detachable
- Comes with a feature that enables you to check various timings
- Has a handguard that’s protective in nature
- Can work with most ignition system types
- Comes with a swivel head which makes it easy to access hard to reach areas
With this synchronization indicator, one of the best for the MSD ignition, you can check different conditions such as the absence of spark, visualize the synchronization itself, check the electronic delay or advance, among others. It can also be used with many types of ignition systems.
- This timing light comes in handy when diagnosing different issues like electronic retard or advance, basic timing, and no-spark
- It has a better aim than most timing lights due to its barrel’s rotating and slim design
- You can use it on almost all ignition systems
- This timing light has a very complex return policy that many users find annoying
The possibility of using it with different ignition systems has made it a favourite with many. You will also appreciate the ease of sighting when working with its barrel. However, if you have to return it once purchased, the return policy associated with it is very annoying and exhausting.
2. Innova 5568 Pro-timing Light
- It’s shock-proof because of its housing that’s heavy-duty
- Comes with a screen that has both front and backlighting
- Comes with a slim barrel for better aim
- Can be used on most ignition system types
- Comes with clips that are made of metal
This timing light has a digital display that allows you to read different conditions such as delay or advance, tachometer, voltage and waiting time. Many buyers love it for its shockproof property.
- This timing light comes with a shock-proof housing
- You can use its readout for advance, Voltage, Dwell and Tachometer functionalities
- Its leads are detachable and include an inductive pickup
- It has a plastic storage case
- Some users claim that the light is not as bright as they would have loved it to be
The Innova 5568 is certainly a good timing lamp to own, not least because of its tough protection that prevents shocks. You’ll also find that its backlighting is a bonus, especially when working in dark and hard to see areas.
1. ES 130 Self-Powered Timing Light
- It’s powered by batteries and comes with a pair of D cell batteries that are original
- It can be used on a 2 or 4 cycle engine
- Works well with ignition systems of all types
- Comes with a sleeve that’s protective
- Comes with a 4-ft cable
This timing light is a favorite among mechanics and handymen. First of all, you can use it with any ignition system and secondly, its unique timing light works well with both two and four-stroke engines. What’s more, it has a high level of precision (14,000 rpm).
- It’s a very durable timing light
- Comes with original D cell batteries
- Its protective sleeve can withstand very high temperatures
- Some users argue that it’s not as bright as they would have loved it to be
What’s not to like about ES 130? It has everything you’d like in a light of time. It works with all types of ignition systems and is also very easy to use.
In a Nutshell
It cannot be stressed enough how important it is for every car owner to equip himself with the best timing light for the MSD ignition, but above all to learn how to use it. There are cheap timing lights available, but they are not necessarily very useful. You’d rather wait until you can afford a good one than rush to get one. It’s always worth it!